Among the more unusual features are the remains of a stone cross in the gardens, over three feet high. discovered in 1898 by the Rt Rev W. Gott, Bishop of Truro, when the property served as the Bishop’s Palace.
The Bishop unearthed the treasure from the bottom of a dried out pond and it stood for many years in the grounds, even as the property changed hands. But in 1986 it was discovered lying around and the then owner, a Mr Bishop, made it part of a rockery, completed in 1987, preserving it for the future.
Although damaged, with a large section missing, the ornamentation can still be clearly seen and the piece is felt to have been far too decorative to have been a wayside or boundary cross. A preferred theory is that it came from the nearby Tywardreath Priory and is a monastic or churchyard cross.
Guests at CLC Trenython Manor who wish to see the cross should ask at Reception.