Both are stunning… and currently starring in the remake of one of the BBC’s most popular period drama series ever: Poldark.
Filming in Cornwall and Wiltshire has been taking place since April, with the new eight-part programme scheduled to air on BBC 1, and also in the US, next year.
For gorgeous images of Cornwall’s beautiful scenery and photos of the actor, known for his dark, brooding good looks, visit the Poldark-2015 Facebook page which follows filming progress.
Poldark gripped the nation in the 1970s when Robin Ellis played the romantic title role of Ross Poldark; now aged 72 he reappears in the remake as a member of the clergy.
Aidan (The Hobbit Trilogy, Being Human, The Tudors) heads an excellent cast with Eleanor Tomlinson as Demelza and Heida Reed as Elizabeth, his character’s 2 love interests.
Based on the novels of Winston Graham, in this the first series, Poldark returns from the American War of Independence to find his beloved Cornwall much altered in his absence, with his father dead and the family mine closed.
Recently, cast and crew were in Charlestown, a port in the parish of St Austell Bay. And there has been filming at a number of Cornish beauty spots, which fans of Cornwall will be able to identify when the programme is aired.
In the meantime, to get ‘in the mood’ for both Cornwall and the epic saga that is Poldark, you could get yourself a copy of the first book in the legendary series and lose yourself in its 18th century drama. Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1783-1787, has been timely reissued.
One of Cornwall’s World Heritage sites is the 18th century Poldark tin mine, today an open air museum active with craft workshops. The grounds and park are open daily April to October from 10.30am until 5pm, with scheduled underground tours throughout the day.
Hailed as a ‘jewel in the crown of the Cornish mining world heritage’, the mine tour provides an atmospheric insight into 18th and 19th century working conditions. There is a new visitor centre and museum planned to open later this year and relative newcomers are a pair of rare black swans, named after the museum’s founders the late Peter Young and his partner Jose.
Peter Young acquired the site and installed steam engines, opening to the public as Wendron Forge in 1972. In the 1980s it was renamed Half Penny Park and thanks to the BBC grew to become a major tourist attraction as Poldark Mine.
In May 2014, having changed hands twice and been in decline, a new owner with heritage related tourism expertise began the work of restoring the machinery. Next year will see new industrial heritage and other exhibitions take place and no doubt the showing of Poldark will stimulate interest once again.
In all, author Winston Graham wrote 12 Poldark novels and the first seven, which are those set in the 18th century, were the basis of the 1970s TV series.